Friday, January 27, 2012

Black mission fig tree care tips ?

The first step is to select the best location in your yard for planting the fig tree. The ideal position will offer full sun, a southern exposure, and provide protection from prevailing winds and late frosts. Planting alongside of a brick structure or stone wall will give the fig plant a convenient barrier to the weather and allow it to absorb heat radiating from the stones or brick.



Plant the fig tree in average soil mixed with compost, but do not add manures. Figs are not heavy feeders, and over fertilization results in lush leaf growth at the expense of fig production.



One trick that you may want to employ is to dig a hole about three feet deep and line the bottom with bricks or pot shards. This serves to restrict the roots and prevent the formation of tap roots. Figs seem to respond well to this treatment, but it is not a necessity.



To winterize an in-ground tree, insulate the base with leaves or straw and wrap the branches with blankets, quilts, canvas, carpet, or carpet padding. Next, wrap with a layer of clear plastic, or cover with a clear plastic bag.

Black mission fig tree care tips ?
My mother absolutely adores figs. My best care tip is to keep her away from your tree.



My second tip that is actually useful is to visit this website for details on carrying for your fig tree(s).



http://www.nafex.org/figs.htm
Reply:I am in Zone 9, don't know where you are. Your climate could make these instructions invalid. Trim tree (if it needs it) in Febuary before the sap rises. Any pieces you cut off (especially about 12 inch pieces can be stuck into pots w/o root tone, they root easily). I have lemon figs and celeste figs, but not black mission, but the general maintenance of them should be the same. I would make sure like w/ other trees, that there are no branches rubbing other branches. If so, trim so this is not happening. My figs (especially my older ones that are no longer, unfortunately) were very easy to maintain. One of my neighbors planted them for me and my mom and for many years we did not even prune them. Once they are established they are easy. And a few years ago we had a drought here. One of my neighbors would water her fig daily. I did not. Our figs tasted better than hers.


No comments:

Post a Comment