Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Why did Jesus say he had seen Nathaniel under the fig tree? (I think it was Nathaniel anyway---)?

The one without guile

Why did Jesus say he had seen Nathaniel under the fig tree? (I think it was Nathaniel anyway---)?
This passage is in John, chapter 1, starting with verse 45. Jesus was beginning to choose some men to be his disciples. Philip had just said to Nathaniel, "We have found him whom Moses, in the Law, and also the prophets wrote - Jesus, of Nazareth, the son of Joseph." but Nathaniel was skeptical, and said, "Can anything good come out of Nazareth?" and put him off. But Philip insisted that Nathaniel go to see Jesus.

Jesus was showing a special ability when he said, "Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile." Nathaniel was not aware of ever having met Jesus before or had any common friends, and was still skeptical, so he said, "How do you know me?" And then Jesus said to him, "Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you."

How could Jesus have seen him? Nathaniel had just come from some distance. This was amazing to Nathaniel and convinced him that this was, indeed, someone who was beyond an average human being, and so he said, 'Rabbi! You are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!" Jesus then said, "Because I said 'I saw you under the fig tree' you believe? You will see greater things than these."



If I told you what you are doing right now, it would be pretty amazing, wouldn't it? Well, Jesus knows,,, but I don't. After that, Nathaniel believed in Jesus.

ada

No comments:

Post a Comment