Saturday, February 11, 2012

What does my 3 1/2 year old fig tree need to bear fruit?

It did produce a few small fruits the past 2 seasons, but I am wondering if may be I need to have two trees to pollinate?

Or is there a nutrient it may be missing? The tree is in overall great health, so maybe it's too young? Any tips?



Thanks! I appreciate your time and responses!!

What does my 3 1/2 year old fig tree need to bear fruit?
Figs do not need a mate to pollinate as most are female. Perhaps they are not getting enough sunlight. They cannot get too much direct sun for all day. At 3 1/2 years it is still young, its production will increase with age. The question is it making buds or are the buds its making falling off as some will do if care conditions are not right. It will not hurt to use an organic food such as fish emulsion every few months. This is what I use and I have many black and white fig trees on my property that are much older.
Reply:Your instincts are right. It needs a mate so that it can cross-pollinate.

omar

No comments:

Post a Comment