Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I live in Connecticut and put my fig tree in the basement for the winter.?

Obviously my basement was not cold enough as I have about 20 figs in the tree(no leaves) . What should I do for the rest of the winter and will this ruin the summer crop?

I live in Connecticut and put my fig tree in the basement for the winter.?
WHAT IS YOUR HARDINESS ZONE IN YOUR PART OF CONNETICUT. TO FIND THIS OUT GO TO

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/hzm-ne...

YOU PROBABLY LIVE IN A COLD AREA.



THERE IS A POSSIBILITY THAT IF YOU COVER YOUR FIG TREE AND KEEP IT BY YOUR HOUSE AWAY FROM COLD WINDS, MAYBE YOU CAN TAKE IT OUTSIDE. JUDT SOUTH OD THE LONG ISALND SOUND,LONG ISLAND HAS MANY FIGS SO MAYBE THEY WILL WORK UP THERE TOO.







IF IT IS TOO COLD WHERE YOU LIVE

IF IT IS TOO COLD, KEEP IT IN YOUR GARAGE. IN THERE IT WILL BE COLD ENOUGH TO PREVENT FRUIT, BUT WARM ENOUGH TO KEEP IT ALIVE.\



ALSO IF IT FRUITS NOW YOUR SUMMER CROP WILL BE FINE
Reply:You mean "Ficus carica" plants?... They are not frost tender when become aged... Even if frozen, figs often will resprout from the roots and produce a crop the following summer.... Check the link... We have this plant in our country and they never die to the ground level in winters... G'd luck....


No comments:

Post a Comment