Monday, January 9, 2012

Planting a fig tree in zone 7B (North Texas); when and which variety?

I'd like to plant a fig tree for my mom at her house in north Texas, zone 7B (zip code 76034). I would like for it to be planted outdoors and not bring it in for the winter.

When should I plant? Some say early spring, but I don't know when that is in our area.

What is the best variety to plant? I've heard Celeste is best for this area.



Extra credit:

I've never planted a tree before. Can I hire someone to do it?

Do I need to plant it far away from the house so that the roots don't impact foundation? How far away?

As you might be able to tell, I know very little about horticulture. I'd appreciate as much advice as possible about things I might not anticipate. This is an early Mother's Day gift for my mom.

Planting a fig tree in zone 7B (North Texas); when and which variety?
Wonderful gift!



Not to worry. They are very easy to grow.



Most lose their leaves in the winter so don't let this worry you.



As soon as they open for spring, go to a nursery and talk to the manager about buying the proper fig tree for your area. If they will not plant it for you, ask the manager to give you the telephone number of someone who will plant it. They will do it properly and in the correct area of the yard.



How to care for a fig tree:



http://www.ehow.com/how_2073499_care-fig...
Reply:.http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu86vYsJHFa...


No comments:

Post a Comment